The OSHD BIKE BUYING GUIDE:
Why Choose Ocean State H-D®?:
1. Our awesome and friendly Sales Staff-
Bob Sales (Warwick)
Andy Sales Associate
Sal Sales Associate
Kevin Business Development Manager
Steve Sales Manager (Warwick)
Ingrid Sales Manager (Exeter)
Barbara Sales, F&I, Accounting, Management
Russ F&I, Sales, Management
Richard Motorcycle Sales Associate
Jamie Motorcycle Sales Associate (Exeter)
Mike V. Used Bike Manager
Jim PDI, Sales, Service, Parts, Motorclothes
2. Bill of Sale and No Hidden Fees – At OSHD, we write up the sales agreement for your review so that you can be positive of what you will pay for your motorcycle. When shopping elsewhere, always ask that the dealer put a quote in writing. If you sense reluctance or unwillingness to put things on paper, that should raise a “red flag” in your mind. Look out for added fees for setup, handling, administration, documentation, or restocking. Challenge those fees or come to OSHD where there are no hidden fees.
3. Interest Rates – At OSHD, we only use Harley-Davidson® Financial Services for all in-house financing. This allows you to finance additional parts, accessories, merchandise, sales tax, and financial protection options for your motorcycle. Our customers are welcome to use their own financial institution if they wish to. Make sure that you understand the interest rate, length of term, and total finance charge of your package.
4. Harley-Davidson® Literature – When at OSHD, ask us for a copy of the current product catalog to verify the actual Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) and freight charge for the bike that you want. Other dealers claim to give you an attractive deal but may add on fees which often offset any special offer.
5. Hang Tags – At OSHD, we have hang tags on our bikes. If you are shopping, look to see if the bikes have hang tags clearly displaying the price of the bike including options and freight. Do not accept custom accessories, service plans, and options, etc, that you do not want.
6. Sales Staff Pay – OSHD Sales staff work on salary, not commission. Your salesperson should listen carefully to learn what it is you want, not what they want to sell to increase their commission. This enables you to work with any member of our team at your convenience.
7. Warranties – All new untitled Harley-Davidson® motorcycles come with a two(2) year factory limited warranty for which you can purchase Extended Service Plans. Some dealers automatically include an Extended Service Plan in a new bike package. Be sure to check the pricing to ensure that you are not getting a plan you do not want and that you are not paying too much for an Extended Service Plan. OSHD sells only factory-endorsed service plans which are honored nationwide. Don’t settle for a plan that is only usable at the selling dealership.
8. Relationship – At OSHD, the experience goes beyond buying a bike. The motorcycling community is our family. We will be here to answer questions, address concerns, and enrichen your motorcycling adventure. Drop in anytime to see what’s new, have a cup of coffee and chat with our friendly staff. We also host frequent educational events to help you enhance your motorcycling knowledge.
New Harley-Davidson® Motorcycles:
Harley-Davidson® motorcycles are broken down into families. These include: Street™, Sportster®, Dyna®, Softail®, Touring, Trike, & CVO™.
Ask yourself these questions when looking at various models: What type of riding are you going to do? Have you ridden before? Will you be riding two-up? What is your budget? What styling do you like? What bikes do you find the most comfortable? What kind of bikes do your friends ride? Where will you be taking the bike? Do you prefer the look of chrome, black, or polished components? How long do you plan on keeping the bike? Does your budget lend itself towards a new or a used motorcycle?
It is important for you to come to the dealership to see and sit on the various models. Talk to a salesperson and tell them about your needs. They can make recommendations that can narrow your possibilities to a few models. Sometimes, the final decision is based purely on function. Other times, one bike may meet your needs perfectly but it is another bike that really catches your eye. In this case, a few accessories can make the bike with the form you love have the function you require.
Pick up the latest motorcycle Catalog at OSHD or download one here:
Used Harley-Davidson® Motorcycles:
Ocean State Harley-Davidson® thoroughly inspects each used motorcycle before putting it on the showroom floor. Required interval maintenances are performed and the bike is detailed. Only premium units are sold on the sales floor. The period of Warranty varies for each unit so be sure to ask your salesperson for specifics.
H-D® riding gear is loaded with special features to enhance comfort and functionality. Product feature tags on new riding gear detail the product’s functionality.
To increase safety while riding a motorcycle, you need a Helmet, Boots, Jacket, Gloves, Eye Protection, and Jeans (Chaps are nice too). There are numerous options in these categories. Below, we break down the categories with quick links to product info on H-D.com.
Helmets come in 4 basic styles: half, three-quarter, modular, and full. The half helmets are the smallest and lightest, however, they provide the least amount of protection. The modular and full face helmets provide the most protection, yet they can be hot on warmer days. A compromise is a three-quarter helmet which provides a good amount of protection and a bit more ventilation. Helmets MUST be tried on by the intended user. The fit should be snug but not so snug as to give the user a headache. Helmets also must be replaced if they are ever dropped or damaged during an accident. Helmets should be replaced every 5 years regardless of apparent condition.
Jackets also come in many different styles. The two basic groups are Leather and Functional. However, there are Functional Leathers. Functional jackets usually include the latest in protective technology including pockets for armor and reflective materials to enhance visibility at night. Functional jackets also include additional ventilation which can be important on hotter days. Many Functional jackets are nylon instead of leather which usually represents some cost savings for the buyer. Leather jackets are still considered by many to be the best protective material in the event of an accident. There is also heated gear which can be worn under your outer layer and rain gear which can be worn as your outer layer.
Gloves come in 3 basic styles: finger- less, full-finger, and gauntlet. There is also a heated version of the gauntlet glove which can plug directly into leads on your heated jacket.
Eye protection is essential to any rider. Some three-quarter and full-face helmets come with a face shield. However, it is still recommended to wear some sort of additional eye protection. Performance eye wear is a step above normal sunglasses. Gasketed frames help keep out debris and the wind. Transitional lenses darken in the daytime and lighten at night. Many of these products are also available in prescription.
Leg protection starts with a good pair of denim jeans. Additional warmth and protection can come from a pair of Chaps or Functional Riding Pants worn over the Jeans.
Riding boots are essential for comfort and protection. Riding boots should cover the ankle and be made of a durable material such as leather. Oil resistant soles are a feature of riding footwear. Sneakers, dress shoes, and sandals are not safe riding shoes.
You have a multitude of options for your new motorcycle when it comes to accessories. Most of these fall into the categories of Fit, Function, Style, and Performance.
If your motorcycle has not yet arrived, it is a good idea to order parts at least two weeks prior to the motorcycle arriving so they can be installed before the closing date. Eligible Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories (excluding certain performance parts) installed on a new bike by OSHD at time of purchase or within 60 days of purchase are covered under the motorcycle’s two-year limited warranty and any purchased Harley-Davidson Extended Service Plan.
The Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories Catalog:
The Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories Catalog is an excellent source for accessorizing your motorcycle. You can pick one up at OSHD.
Using the HD-1™ Bike Builder On-Line:
Using the Bike Builder, you can build a digital model of your bike, compare looks, options, costs, and get a real sense of what your final product will look like. Check out the Bike Builder to design the perfect bike for you:
Other Accessorization Resources:
OSHD offers three finance protection products to our customers when they buy a motorcycle. These products are: Extended Service Plan (ESP), Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) and Appearance Protection. ESP and GAP are available to you even if you are not financing your motorcycle through our in-house financing services. It is a good idea to review these three products ahead of time so you can let your salesperson know if you are interested in any of the products before the paperwork is generated.
Product 1: Harley-Davidson® Tire & Wheel Plan:
The Harley-Davidson® Tire and Wheel Plan covers your rolling parts from road hazards with a $50 deductible. Tire and Wheel coverage can be purchased alone or with the Harley-Davidson® Extended Service Plan (See Product 2 Below).
Product 2: Harley-Davidson® Extended Service Plan (ESP):
The Harley-Davidson® Extended Service Plan protects you from costly repairs on covered claims for up to 7 years from the purchase date of the motorcycle. An additional plan can be purchased to cover the motorcycle for up to 14 years! Plans can be purchased during the initial 30 day period at reduced rates. The Tire and Wheel Plan mentioned above can be added to your Extended Service Plan.
Coverage For Over 1,100 Parts
Locked-In Repair Cost ($50 Deductible)
Nationwide Repair Location Assistance
Optional Tire & Wheel Coverage
Product 3: Harley-Davidson® Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP+):
If your Harley-Davidson® motorcycle is stolen and never recovered, chances are you’ll have to pay the “gap” between your insurance company pay-out and the loan balance. Don’t assume that your primary insurance will cover any loss related to your motorcycle. In reality, the actual cash value that an insurance company places on your bike may be substantially less than the outstanding balance on your loan. Who pays the difference or the “gap” between your insurance company pay-out and your loan payoff? You do!
With H-D™ GAP Plus you’ll also get a $1000.00 credit towards the purchase of a new bike!
GAP(+) Retail Price from OSHD is $515.00!
Product 4: Appearance Protection:
IF YOU ARE LIKE MOST HARLEY-DAVIDSON RIDERS, YOUR BIKE’S APPEARANCE IS IMPORTANT TO YOU.
HARLEY-DAVIDSON HAS A NEW PRODUCT PARTNERSHIP WITH SCOTCHGARD PROTECTIVE SOLUTIONS FROM 3M AND AN INSURANCE PARTNERSHIP WITH ALLSTATE INSURANCE COMPANY TO PROVIDE AN APPEARANCE PROTECTION PRODUCT AND INSURANCE TO GUARANTEE THE PRODUCT FOR 60 MONTHS (5 years) …. SCOTCHGARD PAINT PROTECTOR GUARDS AGAINST THE ELEMENTS YOU WILL ENCOUNTER ON THE ROAD LIKE SALT, HARD WATER, TREE SAP, INSECTS, BIRD WASTE, ACID RAIN….IF DAMAGE DOES OCCUR, AFFECTED AREAS WILL BE REPAIRED AND RESURFACED. YOU CHROME IS ALSO PROTECTED. YOUR MOTORCYCLE IS GUARAANTEED PROTECTED AGAINST CRACKING PAINT, PEELING PAINT, LACK OF GLOSS … IN ADDITION TO DAMAGE…CAUSED BY ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES. LEATHR AND VINYL ALSO GET PROTECTED WITH SCOTCHGARD LEATHER AND VINYL PROTECTOR WHICH REPELS STAINS FROM PETS, GUM, FOOD, DRINK, LOTIONS, INK, AND MORE. YOUR LEATHER AND VINYL WILL BE PROTECTED FROM RIPS, TEARS, CRACKS, OR LOOSE STITCHING CAUSED BY WEATHER OR UV WEAKENING. RIPS OR TEARS LESS THAN 2” OR PUNCTURES LESS THAN ¼ INCH WILL BE REPAIRED AND RESURFACED. A FEW ADDIITONAL FACTS: 1. THE PRODUCT IS AVAILABLE FOR BOTH NEW AND PRE-OWNED MOTORCYCLES 2. THERE IS NO DEDUCTIBLE PER CLAIM 3. COVERAGE IS TRANSFERABLE TO A NEW MOTORCYCLE OWNER ($50 TRANSFER FEE) 4. COVERAGE INCLUDES ALL ACCESSORIES INSTALLED BY THE DEALERSHIP ON THE MOTORCYCLE WITHIN THE FIRST 60 DAYS FROM PURCHASE ON NEW MOTORCYCLES 5. DENIM SURFACES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS PROTECTION PROGRAM 6. AVAILABLE FOR NEW AND FOR PRE-OWNED MOTORCYCLES UP TO 4 CALENDAR YEARS OLD 7. MAXIMUM COVERAGE FOR DAMAAGE IS $3,000 PER CONTRACT 8. EXHAUST SYSTEMS ARE EXCLUDED FROM CHROME COVERAGE COST OF PRODUCT INSTALLATION AND INSURANCE COVERAGE IS $494.
Payment and Credit Application:
In-house financing is available at OSHD via Harley-Davidson® Financial Services (HDFS). In addition to financing the cost of the motorcycle, accessories, riding gear, and sales tax, the products listed above can also be financed into your sales package.
Now that all the pieces are in place, we can calculate your finances. Flexible rates, terms and financing options that let you finance your whole ride are available through Eaglemark Savings Bank, a subsidiary of Harley-Davidson® Financial Services.
OSHD can offer you a contact from which you can purchase Harley-Davidson® Insurance.
Harley-Davidson® Insurance is designed to protect everything that Harley is built on- you the rider, your motorcycle, freedom, independence and the Harley way of life.
$3,000 accessory coverage included.
Helmet and safety apparel coverage.
Repair shop of your choice.
GET A QUOTE AT OSHD.
It’s almost time to ride! But first we have a bit of paperwork to complete.
Anticipate your closing to take about an hour. Schedule your closing with your salesperson 24 hours in advance if possible. If you are having accessories installed, your salesperson will call you when the motorcycle is ready to schedule a closing. This will allow us to have the paperwork ready before you arrive. Let your salesperson know ahead of time which products you have selected so the paperwork can be processed correctly.
The remaining balance (or remaining down payment if financing) must be paid in cash or by bank check (Made out to Russ’ Ocean State Harley-Davidson). No credit cards or personal checks please!! Your salesperson will provide you with the exact amount ahead of time so that you can have your payment ready for closing. If we are registering the motorcycle for you please see Registration Service section below for additional payment information.
Before a financed motorcycle can be released, or our runner can complete your registration, proof of insurance in the form of an insurance binder should be faxed to the dealership. Your insurance agent will require the following information to issue an insurance binder:
Make________ Model______________ Year _______ CC_________ VIN_______________________________
If you are financing, the insurance binder will have to list the name and address of the lienholder. If you are financing through Harley-Davidson® Financial Services, the lien holder must be listed as follows:
Eaglemark Savings Bank
PO Box 21750
Carson City, NV 89721
OSHD Fax Numbers: (401)781-3327 WARWICK ~ (401)392-8474 EXETER
Registration service is available for RI, MA, and CT customers. To have our runner register your motorcycle, you must provide the following:
1. A blank personal check made out to the state DMV to pay sales tax and registration fees unless these fees are financed. The address on your personal check must match your registration application address.
2. Cash, check, or credit card to pay runner fee for specific state registration runner’s fee:
Rhode Island: $25.00
If you have an existing motorcycle plate and are going to transfer the registration to your new bike, your old plate will act as your temporary registration plate. Please bring us your old registration. If you need a plate, a twenty (20) day temporary registration plate is available for RI and CT residents only. Please let your salesperson know if you would like a temporary plate. Insurance is required for us to issue a temporary registration.
Walk Around and Dealership Tour:
Once the paperwork is complete, your salesperson will give you a walk around of your motorcycle and a dealership tour. During the tour, you will be introduced to each department in the store. This is a good time to schedule your first service and meet our friendly staff.
Finally, it is time to ride! If you don’t have a motorcycle license at this point you will need to bring a licensed rider with you to ride your bike home or schedule a delivery in our fully enclosed trailer.
If you need to take the Motorcycle Rider Course, check out the CCRI site HERE.
New Motorcycle Break-In:
1. Engine Speed – For the first 50 miles keep the engine speed below 4000RPM,
up to 500 miles keep the engine below 5000RPM.
Vary engine speed and avoid operating at steady speeds for long periods of time. Back roads are great for this.
Avoid lugging the engine at low speeds in higher gears, refer to the Owner’s Manual for changing gear speeds.
2. Gasoline – Always use good quality gasoline of 91 octane or better.
3. Braking – Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken in with moderate use for 200 miles.
4. First Service – After a new motorcycle has been ridden for 1000 miles, it should be taken to an authorized Harley-Davidson® dealer for the first service.
Note: Book your riding season service appointments approximately three weeks in advance to avoid waiting.
Getting to know your New Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle:
1. Take some time to read your Owner’s Manual and familiarize yourself with the major components of your motorcycle.
2. Become familiar with all controls and indicators before you ride.
3. Refer to maintenance section of your Owner’s Manual for cleaning and care tips to keep your motorcycle looking its best. Certain parts require special care or use of special cleaners to protect their finish. Bare aluminum parts (especially wheels) will require special diligence to keep clean and free of brake dust. Denim paints should never be waxed or polished. Your salesperson can direct you to the right cleaning products for your specific motorcycle. More info on maintenance of your bike can be found here.
4. After the 1000 mile service, your motorcycle should be serviced at every 5000 mile mark. Oil changes should occur at least once a year if the 5000 mile mark is not reached. See our Winterization Page to learn the proper methods for winterizing your motorcycle.
5. Be sure to always let your motorcycle warm up properly before riding (the rocker boxes should feel warm to the back of your hand).
Warranty and Recall Information:
New Harley-Davidson® Motorcycles are covered by a Two Year Factory Limited Warranty. The Warranty is not bound by mileage. Be aware that some Harley-Davidson® Accessories and most aftermarket accessories may void all or parts of the Limited Factory Warranty. See your Owner’s Manual for Warranty information.
Used Harley-Davidson® motorcycles sold at OSHD are sold with a dealer warranty specific to that motorcycle. Inquire with your salesperson to find out what the coverage is on the unit you are considering.
Recall and Safety Campaign Information:
The information provided at closing will be used by the factory to contact you and notify you of any open safety campaign recalls on your motorcycle. You can also sign in to H-D.com and view recall information on-line.
Ocean State Chapter Harley Owners Group®:
When you buy a new Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle, you are automatically enrolled in National Harley Owners Group®. OSHD’s local chapter is a great place to Ride and Have Fun with a great group of Motorcycle enthusiasts. Meetings are the first Thursday of each month at 6:30PM in Warwick. (June – July – August Meetings are at the Exeter location.) Feel free to attend a meeting to see if the group is right for you. Enrollment forms are available in the Warwick H.O.G.® lounge or download one here:
OSHD has several events throughout the season. Check our events page for a list of this year’s events:
A Final Note:
Congratulations on your new bike! Most of all, we want you to have fun. You are now a member of the OSHD family. If you have any questions, concerns or comments feel free to contact us or drop by. We will be here to help you out with whatever you need from service to parts and accessories and general merchandise. Stop by, even if you are just out for a ride, have a cup of coffee and hang out for awhile.
Now,…. Go forth and ride.
Ask a salesperson about your FREEDOM OF CHOICE!
With your purchase of a new Harley-Davidson® motorcycle you receive a 1-year membership to the National Harley Owners Group® (H.O.G.®). Sales brochures available while supplies last. All trades considered.
Sales Department Contact:
mailing: 5 Albany Road Warwick, RI 02888
mailing: 435 Nooseneck Hill Road Exeter, RI 02822